- The Catcher In The Rye is the favorite book of Douglas Hofstadter, Winona Ryder, Bill Gates,
Jane Pauley, Robert Cormier and Pete Sampras.
- Before he murdered John Lennon, Mark Chapman toured New
York with The Catcher In The Rye as his
- The Catcher In The Rye is mentioned in the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire".
- Green Day has a song called "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield".
- A Chinese pop group calls itself "The Catcher in the Rye".
- There is an Irish indie rock band called "Rollerskate Skinny".
- These days, Little Shirley Beans is an indiepop record label.
- The Catcher In The Rye plays a major role in the movie Conspiracy Theory.
- Two The Catcher InThe Rye passages were originally published as individual short stories in
Colliers, "I'm Crazy" (Dec 1945), and the New Yorker, "Slight Rebellion off Madison" (Dec 1946).
- The dedication in The Catcher InThe Rye reads, "To My Mother".
- The price of a The Catcher InThe Rye first edition begins at $5500-$7500 and can go as
high as $10,500.
- In his 20s, Salinger dated 15-year-old Oona O'Neill, the daughter of playwright Eugene O'Neill.
- A band called The Wynona Riders released a CD called "J. D. Salinger" in 1995.